PRK Day 1

Waking up the morning of the surgery, I felt a strange mix of determination and the need to throw up. Laser eye surgery is definitely not for the feint of heart. I think the fear of the unknown is the hardest part. Luckily for me, I was smart enough to schedule my surgery for first thing on Friday morning. I didn’t have as much time to get in my own head. Doesn’t mean I didn’t somewhat panic though. However, I am usually an anxious person so that probably doesn’t mean all that much.

My mom drove me to the laser center which is a weird thing in and of itself because my mother and I are extremely mismatched in the morning, especially when we are both anxious. When I get anxious, I become a total Chatty Cathy. When my mom gets anxious, she likes it silent. 

After getting my eyes checked to make sure they hadn’t changed and doing the typical paperwork and being given the post op recovery instructions, it was time for the surgery. They checked my eyes one last time and then had me lay on the surgery bed. They gave me what they said was a giant lamb to hold. I honestly have no idea. My eyesight pre-surgery was that bad and I didn’t really care to look anyway. I just hugged it to my chest hard like I was a terrified five year old again.

The surgery was thankfully quick. They first covered my right eye and put my left in this contraption called a speculum. Yes, ladies, very similar but with no long piece and for your eye. Men, just don’t worry about it. The main goal of the thing was to keep my eye open. I felt like I was blinking, but I wasn’t. They used an alcohol to dissolve my cornea and then wiped the excess away. Don’t worry my eyes had been numbed before the speculum. Then it was time for the laser. I was told the entire time to stare at a green flashing light above my head. Focusing on that light was my lifeline for the entire process. I would only start to get panicky again if I could not see that green light. 28 seconds with the laser on the left eye and a rinse with cold water, some eye drops and a non prescription contact and it was on to the second eye. 25 seconds with the laser there.

Most people whose blogs I read smelt a faint smell of burning flesh during the laser part. I can’t say I was focused enough to notice. I was just staring at that little green blinking light and probably squeezing the life out of that poor stuffed lamb(?). When I was done, they gave me some sunglasses, a prescription for Percocet. and sent me on my way, but I do remember that I could see the track lighting on the ceiling when they moved the laser away. I know my account seems very non-personable, but I will assure you that the staff and surgeon were very concerned about how I was doing and tried to make me as comfortable as possible. I just cared more about efficiency and not pissing myself out of fear. 

After it took nearly forever for the pharmacy we stopped at on the way home to fill my prescription and ended up doing it my maiden name due to some glitch in their computer system, we got to my mom’s house, I ate some food; took the Meds, and passed out for the next three hours. 

When I woke up, other than feeling like my eyes had been violated by the surgery, my eyes were doing quite well. I could definitely see a lot better than I had in years and was not light sensitive the way others had reported. My stomach, however, was a different story. Between nerves and the Percocet, I was ready to hurl. My mother and I agreed that no matter how much pain my eyes were in, the meds were just not worth it. We switched to Ibuprofen to prevent swelling and pain instead.

Other than that, the first day wasn’t too noteworthy. My vision was stable for the day, probably somewhere around 20/100 and I would relax for the rest of the day until LD got there with some awesome sushi. I ate that and then a second dinner. Then, went to bed early.

I will let you know about days 2 and 3 tomorrow. Sorry I took so long to update, but I wanted to feel well enough to write everything down before I got started.


About Danielle Beranek

Life can get away from you when being young, married, and still fairly fresh out of college. Taking on a pet, student loans, going back to school, and soon a new house is enough to leave ones head spinning. For me, life is crazy, but only on the outside.
This entry was posted in PRK Recovery and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to PRK Day 1

  1. I had Lasik 13th of Feb and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done! My life’s been changed so much in just a short period of time!! Amazing!


    • Yes. I got prk on Friday and had to wait to be seeing well enough to really write the way I wanted to. With vision as bad as mine started out almost anything but would be an improvement. I am still working up to normal, but I think I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. Prk takes longer to recover from than lasik, but my life is definitely already changing. I just wish I could work on a computer for more than a few minutes at a time though.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s