First of all, I am perfectly fine now, but last night I had some of my worst allergic reactions yet…and I didn’t even think I was eating anything I was allergic to. I did not have to seek medical attention, but the itchiness lasted well past (2 hours and counting when I wrote this last night) when the Benedryl kicked in, but it did relieve my coughing, sore chest, and itchy throat. I have known for a long time that I am allergic to a couple of consumable items: strawberry, pineapple, coconut, and hops. But, the allergies seem to be getting worse recently.
I used to be able to eat coconut oil with no reactions, but now even the dogs can’t have any treats with coconut oil in them unless I give them treats while wearing nitrile gloves. As of Thanksgiving, I learned halfway through my wonderful slice of pumpkin pie that I now can’t have Cool Whip (not a fun evening). Last night, I had a reaction to chocolate chips simply because the company makes coconut flakes in the same factory. I will now have to make my own chocolate chips as this is a common occurrence.
Now, those of you without food allergies may think that coconut and coconut oil are easy to avoid and I shouldn’t worry about it. However, coconut or coconut oil are in many items you probably don’t even think about: some cereals, many granola bars, cool whip, ice cream (any flavor), some mixed drinks (anything with Malibu), some baked goods, etc. Especially with the new craze of coconut oil as a health food, my food options are getting more and more limited. In fact, I had to stop using Woolite to wash my delicates as the coconut oil in the detergent made me start to react with hives and my windpipe narrowing slightly (enough to make me very uncomfortable but not enough to stop breathing). The truth is, my other allergies are a lot easier to avoid except for the hops one.
For those of you who don’t know, hops is a main ingredient in beer. I wish I had thought of this allergy at my wedding as I spent my wedding night on the bathroom floor because the hops I ingested simply from my wedding guests drinking beer and then getting really close to me so I could hear them over the music made me sick to my stomach. I also couldn’t breathe well which I thought originally was from the corset, but no, it was definitely from my hops allergy based on my reactions that happen after my husband kisses me after drinking a beer.
Well, I guess it is time to see the allergist as they are increasing. Does anyone else have food allergies? Please rant here. I am more than willing to listen and sympathize.