Life has really been changing quickly around here. First, a wedding. Then, we bought a house. Yesterday, I received my first textbook for my new classes. Although all of these changes are great, there is one that I am really loving at the moment: moving from a city to a small town. I am so incredibly happy with the small town life. I guess my family’s farmer past is still pretty strong in me. Here are the things I really love about living in a small town:
1. When I walk the dog, everyone talks to me. I don’t feel like an outsider even though I’m new. People actually talk to each other even if it is to say how nice the weather is or to joke that my dog should be carrying me, the friendliness of people is a very nice change.
2. People think about others. I was at the gas station yesterday and there was a guy with a pickup filling up gas jugs and didn’t realize that his back end prevented anyone from using the pump behind him. So, I just went around to the other side. Before he left, he told me that he could have moved up and apologized for being in my way (he had made a motion to do that, but it was easier for everyone for me to just go around). He could have easily ignored my presence, but he decided instead to think about others.
3. Living farther from the big box stores makes it so that every single trip is planned out. With the trips being planned, less money is being spent that doesn’t have to be spent.
4. Tasha is a lot calmer in the new surroundings now that she has adjusted. She still reacts, but is also content to watch people walk by on the sidewalks as long as they don’t have dogs with them. She enjoys having her own space and when she does react, people are a lot more understanding. They are even willing to listen that she came from a rescue and is still learning, and think it is great that we took her in and are giving her a better life.
5. There is an Amish store down the road a bit. We still have to go see it, but we hear from the other locals that it is great! Apparently they sell a lot of bulk items like flour, sugar, and fresh cinnamon. I am getting very eager to go try it out!
What changes are going on in your life? What’s great and what’s not-so-great? I would LOVE to know!